|Think Newmarket… think Horses! Famous worldwide for being the home of horseracing it is also the location for the National Stud. Newmarket itself is a busy market town with shopping, cafes, restaurants, pubs and nightclubs.
Horseracing came to Newmarket in the 17th Century with the first recorded race being held in 1664. Since then it has become the place for anyone seriously connected with the world of horseracing.
Visit the National Horseracing Museum which traces the story of the sport, the people, the events and even the scandals. See items associated with heroes of the sport including Red Rum, Frankie Dettori and Lester Piggott. You can even get hands-on with a chance to try out a horse simulator. 99 High Street, Newmarket. Tel: 01638 667333.
Also open to the public is the National Stud (one time home to Mill Reef, there is a statue here to the memory of quite possibly the world’s most famous racehorse). See the stallions, some of the new foals and mares that are on the site. The stud is open March to September and on autumn race days. Full information is available by telephoning 01638 663464.
Palace House, on Palace Street, has played host to Kings and Queens for over three centuries; now the home of the local Tourist Information Centre; it was built by Charles II who was also responsible for establishing Newmarket as horseracing capital. Further up the street is the former home of Nell Gwynne, the famous mistress of Charles II is reported to have stayed here whenever the King stayed in Newmarket.
|Market days Tuesdays and Saturdays|