|The birthplace of artist John Constable (1776) and a place repeatedly painted by him. Of note is Bridge Cottage which was used as a location by the artist John Constable.
There are several old Tudor houses and well known gardens at East Bergholt Place.
The church (St Mary the Virgin) has an external bell cage which houses the bells UPSIDE DOWN! The church was built in the 15th-16th centuries without a spire or tower in which to house the bells. In 1525 work began to rectify this, but when Cardinal Wolsey was ousted from his post work stopped.
In 1531 a wooden (temporary) cage was built in which the bells were housed….. some 500 years later the “temporary” structure is still there.
The village is twinned with Barbizon in France.